There are many ways you can support your child's learning and school. Here are a few ideas:
1. Spend a few minutes every evening looking over handouts your student brings home. Fill out forms to return the next day.
2. Tell your child's teachers if you can help them out at school or home.
3. Make sure teachers know you appreciate their efforts. From time to time, send a thank-you note or an email.
4. Contact your child's teacher immediately if you see a problem. Working together will help your child succeed.
5. Attend conferences, parent meetings, and school events regularly.
Good readers form mental pictures as they read. To improve your child's comprehension, read a book without letting them see it. Then, ask them to guess what the illustrations look like.
Attendance is Important!
Regular attendance in elementary school sets up a good pattern for your child's entire school career. Show your child that school comes first by trying to keep days off for illnesses and family emergencies. Also, schedule routine doctor and dentist appointments for after school or over school breaks.